A little History of how Laverne came to be
Beginning March 30, 1889 in a one-room sod house, a Post Office, Laverne, served the pioneer settlers of the lush green valley just south of the Beaver River and 6 mile east of the 100th merifian. A new building was soon built on the Nesbiti place and the Post Office moved with Goerge Frisbee as postmaster. This location s part of the old park Carlisle.
It is said that the Post Office was named Laverne by a daughter of Jesse Sinclair, a homesteader. A more romantic version is that a dying cowboy requested it be named Laverne for his girlfriend.
An enterprising settler pitched a tent, stocked it with groceries and supplies and thus began the town. Frank Kell bought land from John Mollman in 1911, plotted the ground and sold lots for the present town site. WHen the Wichita Falls and Northwester Railroad (branch of the M-K&T) was laid through the site in the sprint of 1912, the growth of the town was assured. By June 1912 there were 44 businesses, including the Laverne Leader, Christian and Presbyterian churches , and the Laverne State and Speermore Banks. The population of 450 in 1913 increased approximately 1,000 by 1930.
Located in the heart if the Northwestern Oklahoma’s agricultural and cattle industry, the oil boom of the 1950’s gave Laverne the title of “Oil Capital of Northwest Oklahoma” with some of the strongest wells in the state included the Laverne – Mocane discovery. During this era the popluation grew to almost the hoped goal of 2,000.